Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, December 16, 2011

Crochet Lightning McQueen Child Hat

Crochet Lightning McQueen Child Hat



Come check out my new Crochet Site with new patterns, http://crochetjewel.com/

My Crochet You Tube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/amray767

How to Crochet a Double Crochet  Newborn Hat -All Sizes Tutorial Videos!






 
If you tell others about my work, please only link back to my blog, but don't copy my patterns to your site. Also you can sell anything you make from my patterns, but don't sell the free pattern. Thank you!


Crochet Hat sizes with this Double crochet pattern
Newborn baby head circumference, 13" - 14", Hat height = 5.5 to 6"= D hook, 
Baby 3 to 6 months, Head Cir, 14" - 17 ", Hat height= 6.5 - 7"=E hook, 
baby 6-12 months, 16"-19" head cir., hat length=6.5-7"=F hook,
toddler-preschooler (12 months-3 yrs), 18"-20" head cir., hat length=7" =G hook, 
child 3-10 yrs, head cir., 19"-20 1/2 "", hat length= 7.5"=H hook, 
teens, head cir., 20 1/2"-22", hat length, 7.5-8"=I hook, 
Adult women, 21.5"-22.5", hat length, 8"= J


Supplies: H hook, F hook
Red, white, black, and blue Red Heart yarn

Abbreviations: dc=double crochet, sc=single crochet, sl st=slip stitch, ch=chain

I made this for my 4 year old, measures 19-20 inches, 7 inches long.

Instructions:
Red yarn for the body

H hook

ch 5- slip stitch to form a ring,
rnd 1. ch 3, 11 dc in ring, join with sl st. on top of ch 3. -12 sts.
rnd 2. ch 2, dc in same st. as joining, 2dc in each st. around. join with sl st on top of chain 2. -24 sts.
rnd 3. ch 2 counts as the first stitch, *2dc in next st., dc in the next stitch, repeat from *around, join with sl st. -36 sts.
rnd 4. ch 2, dc in the next st., 2dc in the next st., *dc in the next two stitches, 2dc in the next stitch, repeat from *around, join with sl st. -48 sts.
rnd 5. ch 2, dc in the next two sts., 2dc in the next st., *dc in the next three stitches, 2dc in the next stitch, repeat from *around, join with sl st. -60 sts.
rnd 6. *ch 2, dc in each st around, join sl st., *repeat. continue until the hat reaches 7 inches, sl st. fasten off. (if this is a smaller size the length will be shorter, look above for sizes and what hook to use.)

Trim: Change colors; add black colored yarn with J hook, HDC around the trim (bottom of the hat) and sl st. fasten off. weave in the ends.
If you would like to add ear flaps, see my other hat patterns.

Eyes:
H hook
white, blue, and black yarn.
(*for a smaller hat, only chain 20, when you do the top edge, then do 10 across.)

For the white square eye piece
chain 25,
rnd 1. sc in the 2nd chain from the hook and each stitch across. ch 1, turn
rnds 2-11. sc in each stitch across, ch 1, turn *repeat, (10 times)
rnd 12. sc in the next 12 stitches, ch 1, turn, *repeat, (3 times)

Trim around: sc with H hook with black yarn around the white square eye piece.

Eye Pupils:
F hook
Black and blue yarn

Start with black yarn
rnd 1. ch 2, work 5 sc in the 2nd chain from the hook , sl st to form a ring.
change to blue yarn (5 sts)
rnd 2. work 2sc in each stitch around, sl st. fasten off. (10 sts.)

Place the eyes on the white eye piece, about 1 1/2 apart.

Mouth:
black yarn and yarn needle

sew a straight line below the eyes, and secure it in the center with a small stitch. make the sides go upward and make two slanted line on the sides of the mouth to complete.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh how cute....now we need a towmater

SusanD1408 Crochet Addict said...

Very cute! Love the design

aleeouway said...

OH MY GOODNESS, I am making this right now, this is so awesome

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for sharing this!! my grandson is going to love it!!

Kela Bela said...

This is great! Just finished it for my son and he loves it! But I agree with "Anonymous" that we need a tow Mater one! My son LOVES Mater, but I have no idea where to start with that one! Thanks for the great pattern!

Dusty said...

Where do you measure your length from??

Amy said...

Measure from the center of the top of the hat to the bottom of the hat

M Dragonfly said...

Awesome, I am almost done, I even created tires for ear covers, if I am able to post a pic, I will, did you sew everything, or glue? TIA

Amy said...

Sewed them

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your patterns. They are awesome! Love them all - that's the trouble!!

Diana Jiron Graff said...

My friend's 2 year old is going to loooove this hat! thank you so very much for the pattern!

orchid said...

Well, very cut. I will try for my nephew.

Natalia Poklad said...

I guess you meant "add BLACK colored yarn with J hook" when crocheting the trim... Am I right?

Crochet Jewel said...

yeah I will change it, its black.